Welcome to the February 2014 issue of the IEEE MTT-S e-newsletter; the official monthly e-newsletter for MTT-S members. We had a very successful IEEE Radio and Wireless Week in Newport Beach, California. The paper review process for the International Microwave Symposium (IMS) 2014 has been completed and the authors have been notified about the results.
We now look forward to meeting in Asia for the International Wireless Symposium in Xi’an, China from 24–26 March 2014.
— Bhaskar Banerjee
Editor, MTT-S eNewsletter
The MTT-S has established a Search Committee chaired by Madhu Gupta to find a new Editor-in-Chief for the Microwave Magazine. On behalf of the committee, I request you to propose names of potential candidates (including self-nominations) for this position. Please include a biographical sketch (or a web link to one) with a representative list of publications for the suggested candidates and the basis of your endorsement. Since we hope to conclude the search in time to get MTT-S AdCom approval of appointment at the next Adcom meeting in June, it will greatly help if you can respond within a week of receiving this message.
Desired Qualifications for Microwave Magazine Editor-in-Chief:
- Candidates should have technical expertise in the field of the Magazine, and preferably a breadth of command of the discipline that the magazine represents.
- Candidates should have an established track record of contributions to the field, preferably as an author of broad-appeal articles, and a stature in the microwave field to command the respect of authors and reviewers.
- Candidates should have experience with MTT-S publications as an author, a reviewer, a columnist, or as an associate editor.
- Candidates should be able and willing to spend the amount of time needed (estimated to be around 30 hours per month, considering the possibility of an increase in the frequency of publication of the Magazine), on a regular basis, and continuously for a period of three calendar years, 2015–2017. In addition, they should be capable of prompt processing and responses, as needed for an author-friendly publication.
- Candidates should be sufficiently well-established in their career, so that the displeasure of other professionals is not a consideration in their editorial decision making, and their judgment displays fairness and even-handed treatment of all segments and members of the microwave community.
We are pleased to announce that the PhD student sponsorship initiative, established and sponsored by the MTT-S Administrative Committee, will continue for 2014.
This initiative is available for all 1st/2nd year PhD students and Masters Students on PhD track worldwide. The initiative provides sponsorship to attend IMS2014 and RFIC2014 in Tampa, Florida, USA.
Deadline for applications: 2 March, 2014.
For details check out: http://ims2014.org/students/phd-student-sponsorship-initiative
The International Microwave Symposium is the most prestigious conference in the field of RF and microwave engineering. Each year it attracts thousands of people from all over the world. The organization of this symposium requires the work of dozens of people. The student volunteers are one of the essential elements, which ensure the success of this conference.
The Application Form is now available. The deadline is 1 May 2014.
For more details checkout: http://ims2014.org/students/student-volunteers
The 2014 Texas Symposium on Wireless & Microwave Circuits and Systems will be held on April 3–4 in Waco, TX on the beautiful campus of Baylor University. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: Radar, sensing, RF filter design, amplifier design, device modeling, microwave metrology, communication systems and emerging wireless technology. Original works will be selected from submissions for oral presentation and publication in the conference proceedings on IEEE Xplore.
Full Paper Submission Deadline: 17 Feb 2014.
Author Notifications: 24 Feb 2014.
Final Paper Submission: 10 Mar 2014.
Prof. Dominique Schreurs and Prof. Jenshan Lin began their terms as Editors-in-Chief of the MTT Transactions starting January 1, 2014. Eight new Associate Editors also began their terms. They are Prof. Nuno Borges Carvalho, Prof. J.-C. Chiao, Prof. Gilles Dambrine, Prof. Jiasheng Hong, Dr. Jon Martens, Prof. Francisco Mesa, Prof. Luca Perregrini, and Prof. Carlos Saavedra. Please check out the webpage for their photographs and biographies.
The Information for Authors webpage has been significantly updated. Detailed instructions are grouped into three checklists: New Manuscripts Checklist, Revised/Resubmitted Manuscript Checklist, and Final Manuscript Checklist. The Editorial Office hope this will help authors prepare their manuscripts.
The IEEE MTT-S Nominations and Appointments (N&A) Committee is soliciting nominations for the candidates to the AdCom.
Nomination Procedure: Nomination may be made by sending the name of a candidate to the AdCom Nominations and Appointments Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed rules for nomination procedure can be found here.
Requirements: Members submitting names should first obtain the consent of the candidate; serving on the AdCom is a major commitment of time and energy. Submissions to the N&A Committee should include:
Candidate’s full name, full contact info, and a brief draft (less than 300 words) of qualifications, society service, and motivation.
The candidate’s preference to be placed on the at-large ballot, or the AdCom member voted ballot (one cannot be on both ballots).
Nominator’s name and contact information (including email address).
Submit the nomination before the deadline of April 30, 2014.
Nominations for the Fellow Class of 2015 are now being accepted. To learn more about the Fellow program and the application process, visit the IEEE Fellow Program page. The deadline to submit nominations for IEEE Fellows is 1 March 2014.
- 2–4 Sep 2014 - IEEE International Workshop on Cognitive Cellular Systems - Rhine River (Germany) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 10 Mar 2014
- 1–3 Sep 2014 - IEEE International Conference on UltraWideBand - Paris (France) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 11 Mar 2014
- 14–19 Sep 2014 - 39th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves - Tucson, AZ (USA) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 1 Apr 2014
- 28 Sep - 2 Oct 2014 - IEEE Bipolar/ BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting - Chicago, IL (USA) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 29 Apr 2014
- 23–27 Mar 2014 - IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium - Xi’an (China)
- 2–4 Apr 2014 - Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits - Leuven (Belgium)
- 8–9 May 2014 - IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference - Jeju (Korea)
- 14–16 May 2014 - International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic Modeling and Optimization for RF, Microwave, and Terahertz Applications - Pavia (Italy)
- 1–3 Jun 2014 - 2014 IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC) - Tampa Bay, FL (USA)
- 1–6 Jun 2014 - 2014 IEEE International Microwave Symposium (IMS) - Tampa Bay, FL (USA)
- 6 Jun 2014 - 16th IEEE Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON) - Tampa, FL (USA)
- 16–21 Jun 2014 - 6th International Conference Microwave and Radar Week - Lviv (Ukraine)