The MTT-S each year carefully selects a group of Distinguished Microwave Lecturers (DMLs) who are internationally recognized experts and technical leaders in their fields within the Society. The application deadline for the 2025-2027 Class is March 1, 2024.
The scope of the DML program is well known and has been very successful: we need excellent speakers on topics that are of interest to a broad audience. Please note that DML talk is expected to differ from a typical expert technical talk, in that it must be specifically designed for broader audiences. Moreover, it is recommended that the DML selection be a balanced geographical representation of membership. Applicants in the IEEE Region 10, Latin America, and Africa are encouraged. Female applicants are also encouraged.
The DML application process has been changed from this year. The DML candidates should submit all materials by themselves and and knowledge the agreement to requirements.
If MTT-S Technical Committee (TC) Chairs, AdCom Members, or Chapter Chairs would like to nominate a candidate, please work with the candidate but the application materials need to be submitted by the candidate.
Endorsement by a TC should be sought in advance to receive early feedback. It is important that the candidate contact the relevant TC for endorsement well in advance of the deadline. You can find the list of areas along with the name and contact details of TC chairs here: https://mtt.org/technical-committees-list/
Once the materials are submitted, the DML selection committee will contact the TC chair/co-chair to verify the endorsement. No endorsement letter needs to be included in the application. The finalists will be interviewed by the selection committee virtually on-line in May. The proposed DML candidate list will be voted and approved at AdCom Summer meeting (mid-June).
The required application package should include:
- Title and abstract of the talk.
- Biography (maximum 300 words), CV, and affiliation (including region and country) of the candidate.
- A representative set of 10 sample slides (pdf). The template of the presentation can be downloaded from here.
- A 10-minute sample video of the candidate’s presentation. It is encouraged to have a video that represents the candidate’s proposed talk. Examples of such videos can be found on the current DMLs’ pages at [https://mtt.org/distinguished-microwave-lecturers/ and click on Watch Video].
- Which TC(s) will/may endorse the candidate.
- Information on the speaker’s communication/presentation skills. (For example, records of speeches in public and reference letters.)
The DML candidate will agree to:
- Comply with the IEEE travel guidelines.
- Provide a 10-minute condensed talk video to be posted on the MTT-S DML website.
- Give talks in multiple geographical regions requested by DML Coordinator.
- Take a few minutes during the talk to mention about the MTT-S membership and benefits (information is provided to DMLs).
- Spend technical/social time with attendees/students and be willing to help them.
- Contribute an article to the IEEE Microwave Magazine on their talk topic by the end of the first year.
- Contribute to the Webinar Program.
- Seek partial lodging and meal support from Chapter and/or speaker’s institution to offset the costs
The deadline of application for the 2025-2027 Class is March 1, 2024. For more information/inquiries, please contact the DML Selection Committee Chair Professor J.-C. Chiao.
The application form is below: