In collaboration with IEEE MTT, IEEE YP, IEEE YP in Microwaves and the University of Calgary’s iRadio Lab, IEEE Sudan has held a full-day workshop on fifth-generation (5G) networks on February 14th, 2016 in the DAL Group Excellence Center. This event comes as part of the many workshops, talks and seminars organized by IEEE Sudan (Subsection) and IEEE YP MTT and their combined efforts towards spreading high-quality technical education to IEEE members around the globe.
The workshops comprised of 4 technical talks delivered by two speakers: Mr. Abubaker Abdelhafiz, a PhD Candidate with the University of Calgary’s iRadio Lab (Canada) and Mr. Mohamed Omer, Senior Core Engineer, Zain Telecomm. (Sudan). The talks covered a wide variety of topics relating to the architecture and implementation of 5G networks, ranging from the fundamentals of 5G network architectures to next-generation transceiver design and linearization. The sessions were attended by the Minister of Information and Communications Technology, Dr. Tahani Attia, who has recently been selected as one of the Top 10 Women in Telecommunications in the MENA (Middle-East and North Africa) region by a prominent trade publication, the Arab Telecomm Consortium Magazine. Dr. Tahani provided invaluable insight on the challenges facing the implementation of 3G and 4G technologies in Sudan, spectrum licensing and the servicing of rural areas in Sudan, and discussed the potential of 5G in supporting the technological development of the ICT industry in Sudan.
The workshop was very well-attended, with 100+ attendees from the academic, government and industrial sectors. Around 60% of the audience was comprised of engineers working in Sudan’s telecommunications sector, with the remaining 40% being senior- and graduate-level electrical engineering students.
Thanks to the combined efforts of the hard-working volunteers of the IEEE Sudan Subsection team, the generous donation of the auditorium and A/V equipment by DAL group and the energetic participation of the audience, the session was a great success. The audience had many insightful questions about the prospects of 5G and the technologies involved in its implementation, and audience feedback was overwhelmingly positive. We would also like to thank the iRadio Lab and Prof. Fadhel Ghannouchi for their support in providing material on some of the lab’s cutting-edge research work.
Hats off to the many great IEEE volunteers who made this event possible!