Welcome to the October 2013 issue of the IEEE MTT-S e-newsletter; the official monthly e-newsletter for MTT-S members.
Fall has arrived and it's back to school in most places or returning to work after a summer vacation. It's time to start thinking again for membership renewal. If you know of new students or employees entering the microwave field, please encourage them to join the society to help their career and join the community!
- Bhaskar Banerjee
Editor, MTT-S eNewsletter
Microwave Photonics is an inter-disciplinary field of study that concerns the interactions between microwave and optical waves for the generation, processing, control and distribution of microwave, millimeter-wave and THz-frequency signals. Microwave photonics serves as an enabling technology in a wide variety of applications such as signal generation and distribution, high-speed wireless communication networks, radar systems, sensors, and modern instrumentation. The 2013 International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP 2013) will provide a forum for the presentation of new advances in this multi-disciplinary research area, ranging from novel devices to system field trials.
28-31 October, Hotel Monaco, Alexandria, Virginia
27 September: Deadline for registration at "in advance" rates
3 October: Deadline for hotel reservations at the special conference rate (Hotel Monaco)
28-31 October: Conference, on-site registration and check-in for conference
For more information and conference registration, please visit: www.mwp2013.org
The Automatic RF Techniques Group (ARFTG) is a technical organization interested in all aspects of RF and Microwave test and measurement. ARFTG is affiliated with the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S). Experts from major standards organizations like NIST, NPL and academia around the world as well as leading RF test equipment manufacturers participate in the ARFTG conferences to share their expertise.
The Fall ARFTG Fall conference theme this year is: "Characterization, Modeling, and Design of RF and mm-Wave Devices and Circuits." The ARFTG Fall conference also features a day and a half NIST/ARFTG short course on Microwave measurements and two half-day workshops on:
(1) "Modeling and Linearization of Power Transistors and Power Amplifiers," and
(2) "Theory and Techniques for On-Wafer Measurements."
18-22 November 2013, The Blackwell Inn at the Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
More information at the website: http://www.arftg.org/conferences/82nd_conference.html
The MTT Society provides financial assistance to graduate students who show promise and interest in pursuing full-time programs in RF and microwave engineering. There are 10 awards for general Microwave Engineering Fellowships and two awards for the Microwave Engineering for Medical Applications Fellowships.
MTT Society will sponsor up to ten scholarships for each Spring and Fall semester in 2014 for undergraduate/pre-graduate students to encourage their interest in microwave and RF technologies. Additional travel supplement funds will be available for the awardees to attend an MTT-S sponsored microwave conference.
MTT-S strongly encourages students in microwave and RF engineering to apply for the Scholarships and to take the chance to be the next recipient.
Higgs boson walks into church, priest says “We don’t allow your type in here.”
Higgs replies “But without me, how can you have mass?”
A doctor, a lawyer, and an engineer are sentenced to death. Why is not important to the story ... what's important is that the death sentence will be carried out in France - via guillotine.
The doctor is first. The executioner straps him down, hoists the glittering blade aloft, and lets it drop ... whereupon it sticks about halfway down.
Now, it's a well-known tradition in capital punishment that if the execution apparatus fails for any reason, this is interpreted as a sign from God, and the death sentence is commuted. Accordingly, the doctor walks away, still very much alive.
The lawyer is next. The executioner straps him down, hoists the glittering blade aloft, and lets it drop...whereupon it sticks in the exact same spot.
Same rules apply ... the lawyer walks.
The engineer is last. The executioner straps him down, as he hoists the blade aloft, the engineer twists his neck around, peers up at the blade, and says:
"You know, I think I see your trouble there ..."
- May 14, 2014 - May 16, 2014 - International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic Modeling and Optimization for RF, Microwave, and Terahertz Applications - Pavia (Italy) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Dec 31, 2013
- Apr 2, 2014 - Apr 4, 2014 - Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits - Leuven (Belgium) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Jan 8, 2014
- Jun 16, 2014 - Jun 18, 2014 - 20th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar, and Wireless Communication - Lviv (Ukraine) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Feb 15, 2014
- Oct 15, 2013 - Oct 18, 2013 - International Symposium on Phased Array Systems & Technology - Waltham, MA (US)
- Oct 16, 2013 - Oct 19, 2013 - 11th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Services - Nis (Serbia)
- Oct 22, 2013 - Oct 24, 2013 - IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems - Tel-Aviv (Israel)
- Oct 27, 2013 - Oct 30, 2013 - IEEE 22nd Conference on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging and Systems - San Jose, CA (US)
- Oct 28, 2013 - Oct 31, 2013 - IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics - Alexandria (US)
- Nov 5, 2013 - Nov 8, 2013 - 2013 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference - Seoul (Korea)
- Dec 9, 2013 - Dec 11, 2013 - IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications - Singapore
- Dec 13, 2013 - Dec 15, 2013 - International Conference on Microwave and Photonics - Jharkhand (India)
- Dec 18, 2013 - Dec 20, 2013 - Applied Electromagnetics Conference - Bhubneswar (India)
- Jan 19, 2014 - Jan 23, 2014 - IEEE MTT-S Radio and Wireless Symposium - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- Jan 19, 2014 - Jan 23, 2014 - IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- Jan 19, 2014 - Jan 23, 2014 - IEEE Topical Conference on Power Amplifiers for Wireless and Radio - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- Jan 19, 2014 - Jan 23, 2014 - IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Sensors and Sensor Networks - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- Jan 19, 2014 - Jan 23, 2014 - Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- Mar 23, 2014 - Mar 27, 2014 - IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium - Xi'an (China)
- Apr 2, 2014 - Apr 4, 2014 - Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits - Leuven (Belgium)